- reaction-diffusion equations,
- eexistence and properties of solutions,
- applications: pattern appearance in biological systems, tumor growth (modelling and analysis),
- integro-differential equations (structured populations).
Reaction-Diffusion Equations with Applications to Biology and Medicine (M, 4.5 LP)
|Module Number||Module Name||CP (Effort)|
|MAT-84-14-M-7||Reaction-Diffusion Equations with Applications to Biology and Medicine||4.5 CP (135 h)|
|CP, Effort||4.5 CP = 135 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. irreg.|
|Level|| Master (Advanced)|
|Area of study||[MAT-TEMA] Industrial Mathematics|
|Reference course of study||[MAT-88.105-SG] M.Sc. Mathematics|
|Type/SWS||Course Number||Title||Choice in |
|SL||SL is |
required for exa.
Reaction-Diffusion Equations with Applications to Biology and Medicine
|P||28 h||107 h||-||-||PL1||4.5||irreg.|
- About [MAT-84-14-K-7]: Title: "Reaction-Diffusion Equations with Applications to Biology and Medicine"; Presence-Time: 28 h; Self-Study: 107 h
Examination achievement PL1
- Form of examination: oral examination (20-30 Min.)
- Examination Frequency: irregular (by arrangement)
- Examination number: 86377 ("Reaction Diffusion Equations with Applications in Biology and Medicine")
Evaluation of grades
The grade of the module examination is also the module grade.
Competencies / intended learning achievements
Upon successful completion of this module, the students have learned how to use reaction-diffusion equations to derive and to analyse mathematical models for applications in biology and medicine. They know advanced mathematical tools that are used for investigating the existence, uniqueness and characteristics of solutions, and they can apply those to practical problems. Additionally, they have gained insights into interdisciplinary questions.
- B. Perthame: Parabolic Equations in Biology - Growth, Reaction, Movement and Diffusion,
- L.C. Evans: Partial Differential Equations.
Requirements for attendance (informal)
Additional knowledge from the module [MAT-81-13-M-7] is useful but not necessarily required.
- [MAT-10-1-M-2] Fundamentals of Mathematics (M, 28.0 LP)
- [MAT-70-11-M-4] Functional Analysis (M, 9.0 LP)
- [MAT-80-11B-M-4] Introduction to PDE (M, 4.5 LP)
- [MAT-81-11-M-7] Numerical Methods for Elliptic and Parabolic PDE (M, 9.0 LP)
Requirements for attendance (formal)