- introductory examples of traveling waves for different types of differential equations,
- existence and stability of traveling waves in reaction-diffusion equations,
- migratory waves in ODE systems explained by means of examples of biological models,
- pattern formation of traveling waves in systems of reaction-diffusion equations based on examples.
Traveling Waves (M, 4.5 LP)
|Module Number||Module Name||CP (Effort)|
|MAT-84-13-M-7||Traveling Waves||4.5 CP (135 h)|
|CP, Effort||4.5 CP = 135 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. irreg.|
|Level|| Master (Advanced)|
|Area of study||[MAT-TEMA] Industrial Mathematics|
|Reference course of study||[MAT-88.105-SG] M.Sc. Mathematics|
|Type/SWS||Course Number||Title||Choice in |
|SL||SL is |
required for exa.
|P||42 h||93 h||-||-||PL1||4.5||irreg.|
- About [MAT-84-13-K-7]: Title: "Traveling Waves"; Presence-Time: 42 h; Self-Study: 93 h
Examination achievement PL1
- Form of examination: oral examination (20-30 Min.)
- Examination Frequency: irregular (by arrangement)
- Examination number: 86450 ("Travelling Waves")
Evaluation of grades
The grade of the module examination is also the module grade.
Competencies / intended learning achievements
Upon successful completion of this module, the students have gained insight into some characteristics of traveling waves and deepened their knowledge by looking at concrete applications. By completing exercises, the students have developed a skilled, precise and independent handling of the terms, propositions and techniques taught in the lecture. They are also familiarized with some interdisciplinary questions.
- P.C. Fife: Mathematical Aspects of Reacting and Diffusing Systems,
- A.I. Volpert, V.A. Volpert, V.A. Volpert: Traveling Wave Solutions of Parabolic Systems.
Requirements for attendance (informal)
Additional knowledge from the course [MAT-12-23-K-3] is useful but not necessarily required.
- [MAT-10-1-M-2] Fundamentals of Mathematics (M, 28.0 LP)
- [MAT-80-11B-M-4] Introduction to PDE (M, 4.5 LP)
Requirements for attendance (formal)