- optimal control of ODEs and DAEs: introduction and examples,
- infinite-dimensional optimization,
- necessary optimality conditions,
- numerical solution: indirect methods, direct methods, function-space methods,
- optional topics: model-predictive control(MPC); dynamic programming; mixed-integer optimal control.
Optimal Control of ODEs and DAEs (M, 4.5 LP)
|Module Number||Module Name||CP (Effort)|
|MAT-81-33-M-7||Optimal Control of ODEs and DAEs||4.5 CP (135 h)|
|CP, Effort||4.5 CP = 135 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. irreg.|
|Level|| Master (Advanced)|
+ further Lecturers of the department Mathematics
|Area of study||[MAT-TEMA] Industrial Mathematics|
|Reference course of study||[MAT-88.105-SG] M.Sc. Mathematics|
|Type/SWS||Course Number||Title||Choice in |
|SL||SL is |
required for exa.
Optimal Control of ODEs and DAEs
|P||28 h||107 h||-||-||PL1||4.5||irreg.|
- About [MAT-81-33-K-7]: Title: "Optimal Control of ODEs and DAEs"; Presence-Time: 28 h; Self-Study: 107 h
Examination achievement PL1
- Form of examination: oral examination (20-30 Min.)
- Examination Frequency: irregular (by arrangement)
- Examination number: 86343 ("Optimal Control of ODEs and DAEs")
Evaluation of grades
The grade of the module examination is also the module grade.
Competencies / intended learning achievements
Upon successful completion of this module, the students know and understand basic concepts of optimal control, and they know examples of optimal control problems occurring in applications. They master concepts and methods needed for the analysis of such problems. Moreover, they are able to compare different approaches and methods for the numerical solution of such problems and to critically assess the possibilities and limitations for the applicability of the methods.
They have developed a skilled, precise and independent handling of the terms, propositions and techniques taught in the lecture.
- M. Gerdts: Optimal Control of ODEs and DAEs,
- J.T. Betts: Practical Methods for Optimal Control and Estimation using Nonlinear Programming,
- L.S. Pontryagin, V.G. Boltyanskij, R.V. Gamkrelidze, E.F. Mishenko: Mathematische Theorie optimaler Prozesse,
- A.D. Ioffe, V.M. Tihomirov: Theory of extremal problems,
- A.E. Bryson, Y.-C. Ho: Applied Optimal Control.
Requirements for attendance (informal)
- [MAT-10-1-M-2] Fundamentals of Mathematics (M, 28.0 LP)
- [MAT-14-11-M-3] Introduction to Numerical Methods (M, 9.0 LP)
- [MAT-80-11A-M-4] Numerics of ODE (M, 4.5 LP)
Requirements for attendance (formal)