- classification and formulations of location problems,
- complexity results for location problems,
- dealing with the fundamental concepts of location theory: finite dominating sets, location allocation, Weber problems,
- optimality criteria depending on the structure of the class of location problem, in particular of the distance function,
- exact, approximate and heuristic procedures for solving location problems,
- extensions of location problems by considering several criteria,
- discussion of current research directions, such as obnoxious location, dynamic models or combined location route planning.
Location Theory (M, 9.0 LP)
|Module Number||Module Name||CP (Effort)|
|MAT-51-10-M-7||Location Theory||9.0 CP (270 h)|
|CP, Effort||9.0 CP = 270 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. irreg.|
|Level|| Master (Advanced)|
|Area of study||[MAT-OPT] Optimisation|
|Reference course of study||[MAT-88.105-SG] M.Sc. Mathematics|
|Type/SWS||Course Number||Title||Choice in |
|SL||SL is |
required for exa.
|P||84 h||186 h||-||-||PL1||9.0||irreg.|
- About [MAT-51-10-K-7]: Title: "Location Theory"; Presence-Time: 84 h; Self-Study: 186 h
Examination achievement PL1
- Form of examination: oral examination (20-30 Min.)
- Examination Frequency: irregular (by arrangement)
- Examination number: 86280 ("Location Theory")
Evaluation of grades
The grade of the module examination is also the module grade.
Competencies / intended learning achievements
By completing the given exercises, the students have developed a skilled, precise and independent handling of the terms, propositions and techniques taught in the lecture. Moreover, they have learnt how to apply these techniques to new problems, analyze them and develop solution strategies.
- G. Laporte, S. Nickel, F. Saldanha da Gama: Location Science,
- M. S. Daskin: Network and Discrete Location: Models, Algorithms, and Applications,
- R.L. Francis, F. McGinnis, J.A. White: Facility Layout and Location,
- H. Hamacher: Mathematische Lösungsverfahren für planare Standortprobleme,
- R.F. Love, J.G. Morris, G.O. Wesolowski: Facilities Location.
Requirements for attendance (informal)
- [MAT-10-1-M-2] Fundamentals of Mathematics (M, 28.0 LP)
- [MAT-14-13-M-3] Linear and Network Programming (M, 9.0 LP)
- [MAT-50-11-M-4] Integer Programming: Polyhedral Theory and Algorithms (M, 9.0 LP)