- Maschke's theorem,
- character tables,
- orthogonality relations,
- rationality questions,
- Burnside theorem,
- induced characters,
- Frobenius groups.
Character Theory of Finite Groups (M, 4.5 LP)
|Module Number||Module Name||CP (Effort)|
|MAT-40-25-M-4||Character Theory of Finite Groups||4.5 CP (135 h)|
|CP, Effort||4.5 CP = 135 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. irreg. SuSe|
|Level|| Bachelor (Specialization)|
|Area of study||[MAT-AGCA] Algebra, Geometry and Computer Algebra|
|Reference course of study||[MAT-88.105-SG] M.Sc. Mathematics|
|Type/SWS||Course Number||Title||Choice in |
|SL||SL is |
required for exa.
Character Theory of Finite Groups
|P||42 h||93 h||
Examination achievement PL1
- Form of examination: oral examination (20-30 Min.)
- Examination Frequency: each semester
- Examination number: 84139 ("Character Theory of Finite Groups")
Evaluation of grades
The grade of the module examination is also the module grade.
Competencies / intended learning achievements
By completing the given exercises, the students have developed a skilled, precise and independent handling of the terms, propositions and techniques taught in the lecture. In addition, they have learnt how to apply these techniques to new problems, analyze them and develop solution strategies independently or by team work.
- M. Isaacs: Character Theory of Finite Groups,
- G. James, M. Liebeck: Representations and Characters of Finite Groups,
- J. Alperin, R. Bell: Groups and Representations.
Requirements for attendance of the module (informal)
- [MAT-12-11-K-2] Algebraic Structures (2V+2U, 5.5 LP)
- [MAT-12-22-K-3] Introduction to Algebra (2V+1U, 4.5 LP)
Requirements for attendance of the module (formal)None
References to Module / Module Number [MAT-40-25-M-4]
|Course of Study||Section||Choice/Obligation|
|[MAT-88.105-SG] M.Sc. Mathematics||[Core Modules (non specialised)] Pure Mathematics||[WP] Compulsory Elective|
|[MAT-88.706-SG] M.Sc. Mathematics International||[Core Modules (non specialised)] Pure Mathematics||[WP] Compulsory Elective|
|[MAT-GM-MPOOL-5]||General Mathematics (Introductory Modules M.Sc.)|