- approximation theory, interpolation of continuous and differentiable functions by polynomials or spline functions
- numerical integration: interpolation and Gaussian quadrature,
- numerical methods for linear systems of equations: Gauss elimination, Cholesky method, QR decomposition, perturbation theory,
- linear curve fitting,
- non-linear and parameter-dependent systems of equations,
- eigenvalue problems.
Introduction to Numerical Methods (M, 9.0 LP)
|Module Number||Module Name||CP (Effort)|
|MAT-14-11-M-3||Introduction to Numerical Methods||9.0 CP (270 h)|
|CP, Effort||9.0 CP = 270 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. in WiSe|
|Level|| Bachelor (Core)|
|Area of study||[MAT-GRU] Mathematics (B.Sc. year 1 and 2)|
|Reference course of study||[MAT-82.276-SG] B.Sc. Business Mathematics|
|Type/SWS||Course Number||Title||Choice in |
|SL||SL is |
required for exa.
Introduction to Numerical Methods
|P||84 h||186 h||
Examination achievement PL1
- Form of examination: oral examination (20-30 Min.)
- Examination Frequency: each semester
- Examination number: 82036 ("Module Exam Introduction to Numerical Methods")
Evaluation of grades
The grade of the module examination is also the module grade.
Competencies / intended learning achievements
They know and understand the basic methods and algorithms for the numerical solution of problems in linear algebra and analysis. They are able to think algorithmically and understand and apply basic techniques for the description and estimation of approximation and discretisation errors. They are able to critically assess the possibilities and limits of the use of numerical algorithms and they are able to work on smaller problems from science and technology using numerical methods.
In the exercise classes the students have acquired a confident, precise and independent handling of the terms, propositions and methods from the lecture.
- P. Deuflhard, A. Hohmann: Numerische Mathematik I,
- J. Stoer, R. Bulirsch: Numerische Mathematik,
- J. Werner: Numerische Mathematik.
Requirements for attendance of the module (informal)
Requirements for attendance of the module (formal)
References to Module / Module Number [MAT-14-11-M-3]
|Course of Study||Section||Choice/Obligation|
|[MAT-82.276-SG] B.Sc. Business Mathematics||[Core Modules (non specialised)] General Mathematics||[P] Compulsory|