- History of secure communication systems
- Symmetric cryptography: DES, 3DES, AES
- Asymmetric cryptography: RSA, Diffie-Hellman, El Gamal
- Cryptographic protocols: Secret Sharing, Needham-Schroeder, Kerberos, X.509
Protocols and Algorithms for Network Security (M, 4.0 LP)
|Module Number||Module Name||CP (Effort)|
|INF-42-55-M-6||Protocols and Algorithms for Network Security||4.0 CP (120 h)|
|CP, Effort||4.0 CP = 120 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. irreg. WiSe|
|Level|| Master (General)|
|Language||[DE/EN] German or English as required|
|Area of study||[INF-VVS] Distributed and Networked Systems|
|Reference course of study||[INF-88.79-SG] M.Sc. Computer Science|
Special tutorials and exams at Bachelor level for the course of studies 'Sozioinformatik'.
|Type/SWS||Course Number||Title||Choice in |
|SL||SL is |
required for exa.
Protocols and Algorithms for Network Security
|P||42 h||78 h||
- About [INF-42-55-K-6]: Title: "Protocols and Algorithms for Network Security"; Presence-Time: 42 h; Self-Study: 78 h
- About [INF-42-55-K-6]: The study achievement [U-Schein] proof of successful participation in the exercise classes (ungraded) must be obtained. It is a prerequisite for the examination for PL1.
Examination achievement PL1
- Form of examination: oral examination (20-60 Min.)
- Examination Frequency: Examination only within the course
- Examination number: 64255 ("Protocols and Algorithms for Network Security")
Evaluation of grades
The grade of the module examination is also the module grade.
Competencies / intended learning achievements
After successfully completing the module, students will be able to
- explain the essential features of important cryptographic procedures
- apply cryptographic procedures in wired as well as wireless and mobile systems,
- compare the specifics of the different security protocols
- select suitable procedures to secure IT systems
- justify the use of appropriate security measures and protocols at the different network layers
- G. Schäfer: Netzsicherheit, dpunkt Verlag, 2003.
- B. Schneier: Applied Cryptography, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd Edition, 1996.
- J. Buchmann: Einführung in die Kryptographie, Springer-Verlag, 1999.
Requirements for attendance (informal)
Requirements for attendance (formal)
References to Module / Module Number [INF-42-55-M-6]
|Course of Study||Section||Choice/Obligation|
|[INF-88.79-SG] M.Sc. Computer Science||Specialization 1||[WP] Compulsory Elective|