- Implement an HTML Parser.
- Design and Implement a Web Crawler.
- Design the required database schema to store the contents of visited pages and the link structure.
- Write an SQL-based query processor to execute Google-style keyword queries.
- Devise/Create index structures to accelerate the querying performance.
- Implement alternate query processors using threshold algorithms.
- Realize alternate methods to compute the score of how well a document matches the query.
- For this, implement Google's Pagerank algorithm and integrate it in the scoring model.
- Implement an HTML-based user interface and a Web service
- Use the Web services of your fellow student to realize a meta search engine.
Information Systems Project - Development of a Web Search Engine (Project) (M, 8.0 LP)
|Module Number||Module Name||CP (Effort)|
|INF-24-81-M-7||Information Systems Project - Development of a Web Search Engine (Project)||8.0 CP (240 h)|
|CP, Effort||8.0 CP = 240 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. in WiSe|
|Level|| Master (Advanced)|
|Area of study||[INF-INSY] Information Systems|
|Reference course of study||[INF-88.79-SG] M.Sc. Computer Science|
|Type/SWS||Course Number||Title||Choice in |
|SL||SL is |
required for exa.
Information Systems Project - Development of a Web Search Engine (Project)
|P||56 h||184 h||
Evaluation of grades
The module is not graded (only study achievements)..
Competencies / intended learning achievements
- develop a web search engine,
- independently compile relevant technical literature on the chosen topic,
- familiarize themselves thoroughly with a technically and scientifically challenging topic
- comment on a scientific work in a well-founded and critical manner,
- place the chosen topic in its scientific context and to differentiate it appropriately
- present the results in a formally correct, structured and focused way in a written paper,
- follow and critically question a scientific presentation
- independently write a scientifically sound written paper on the chosen topic,
- design and conduct a specialized lecture on the chosen topic in a didactically appealing manner,
- assess one's own scope for action and decision-making and the associated responsibility and, if necessary, to obtain specific information, define priorities, derive tasks, develop solutions and monitor progress
- present and discuss a scientific question in English.
- Information Retrieval and Web Search Engines:
Introduction to Information Retrieval, by Christopher D. Manning, Prabhakar Raghavan Hinrich Schütze, 2008.
- Information Retrieval:
Implementing and Evaluating Search Engines, by Stefan Büttcher, Charles L. A. Clarke, Gordon V. Cormack
- Database Systems:
cf., literature for Informationssysteme and Datenbankanwendung lectures
Eine Einführung (German), by Alfons Kemper and André Eickler.
Database Management Systems, by Raghu Ramakrishnan and Johannes Gehrke
Requirements for attendance of the module (informal)None
Requirements for attendance of the module (formal)None
References to Module / Module Number [INF-24-81-M-7]
|Course of Study||Section||Choice/Obligation|
|[INF-88.79-SG] M.Sc. Computer Science||[Specialisation] Specialization 1||[WP] Compulsory Elective|