Character Theory of Finite Groups (2V+1U, 4.5 LP)
|SWS||Type||Course Form||CP (Effort)||Presence-Time / Self-Study|
|-||K||Lecture with exercise classes (V/U)|
|2||V||Lecture||3.0 CP||28 h||62 h|
|1||U||Exercise class (in small groups)||1.5 CP||14 h||31 h|
|(2V+1U)||4.5 CP||42 h||93 h|
|CP, Effort||4.5 CP = 135 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. irreg. SuSe|
|Level|| Bachelor (Specialization)|
+ further Lecturers of the department Mathematics
|Area of study||[MAT-AGCA] Algebra, Geometry and Computer Algebra|
Possible Study achievement
- Verification of study performance: proof of successful participation in the exercise classes (ungraded)
- Examination number (Study achievement): 84007 ("Exercise Class Character Theory of Finite Groups")
- Details of the examination (type, duration, criteria) will be announced at the beginning of the course.
- Maschke's theorem,
- character tables,
- orthogonality relations,
- rationality questions,
- Burnside theorem,
- induced characters,
- Frobenius groups.
- M. Isaacs: Character Theory of Finite Groups,
- G. James, M. Liebeck: Representations and Characters of Finite Groups,
- J. Alperin, R. Bell: Groups and Representations.
Further literature will be announced in the lecture; Exercise material is provided.
Registration for the exercise classes via the online administration system URM (https://urm.mathematik.uni-kl.de)
Requirements for attendance (informal)
- [MAT-12-11-K-2] Algebraic Structures (2V+2U, 5.5 LP)
- [MAT-12-22-K-3] Introduction to Algebra (2V+1U, 4.5 LP)