Introduction to Numerical Methods (4V+2U, 9.0 LP)
|SWS||Type||Course Form||CP (Effort)||Presence-Time / Self-Study|
|-||K||Lecture with exercise classes (V/U)||9.0 CP||186 h|
|2||U||Exercise class (in small groups)||28 h|
|(4V+2U)||9.0 CP||84 h||186 h|
|CP, Effort||9.0 CP = 270 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. in WiSe|
|Level|| Bachelor (Core)|
+ further Lecturers of the department Mathematics
|Area of study||[MAT-GRU] Mathematics (B.Sc. year 1 and 2)|
The course is accompanied by a programming lab course [MAT-14-11P-K-3].
Possible Study achievement
- Verification of study performance: proof of successful participation in the exercise classes (ungraded)
- Examination number (Study achievement): 83210 ("Exercise Class Introduction to Numerical Methods")
- Details of the examination (type, duration, criteria) will be announced at the beginning of the course.
The basic concepts and algorithms for the numerical solution of problems from Analysis and Linear Algebra are covered:
- approximation theory, interpolation of continuous and differentiable functions by polynomials or spline functions
- numerical integration: interpolation and Gaussian quadrature,
- numerical methods for linear systems of equations: Gauss elimination, Cholesky method, QR decomposition, perturbation theory,
- linear curve fitting,
- non-linear and parameter-dependent systems of equations,
- eigenvalue problems.
Competencies / intended learning achievements
The students know the basic methods and algorithms for the numerical solution of problems in linear algebra and analysis. They are able to critically assess the possibilities and limits of the use of numerical algorithms and are able to work on smaller problems from science and technology using numerical methods.
- P. Deuflhard, A. Hohmann: Numerische Mathematik I,
- J. Stoer, R. Bulirsch: Numerische Mathematik,
- J. Werner: Numerische Mathematik.
Further literature will be announced in the lecture(s); exercise material is provided.
Registration for the exercise classes via the online administration system URM (https://urm.mathematik.uni-kl.de).
Requirements for attendance (informal)
Requirements for attendance (formal)None
References to Course [MAT-14-11-K-3]
|[MAT-14-00_ERW-M-3]||Mathematics as a Potential for Solving Problems A: Modelling and Applied Mathematics||WP: Obligation to choose in Obligatory-Modulteil #B (Praktische Mathematik)||4V+2U, 9.0 LP|
|[MAT-14-10L-M-3]||Topic Module B: Mathematics as an Interdisciplinary Cross-Sectional Science||WP: Obligation to choose||4V+2U, 9.0 LP|
|[MAT-14-11-M-3]||Introduction to Numerical Methods||P: Obligatory||4V+2U, 9.0 LP|
|[MAT-14-KPOOL-3]||Practical Mathematics (B.Sc. Mathematics)|