Model-based Design of Embedded Systems (4V+2U, 8.0 LP)
|SWS||Type||Course Form||CP (Effort)||Presence-Time / Self-Study|
|-||K||Lecture with exercise classes (V/U)||8.0 CP||156 h|
|2||U||Exercise class (in small groups)||28 h|
|(4V+2U)||8.0 CP||84 h||156 h|
|CP, Effort||8.0 CP = 240 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. in WiSe|
|Level|| Master (General)|
|Area of study||[INF-ES] Embedded Systems and Robotics|
old title: Hardware-Software-Systems
Possible Study achievement
- Verification of study performance: proof of successful participation in the exercise classes (ungraded)
Reactive embedded systems continuously interact with their environment, performing multiple actions in parallel. For precise modeling of these systems, different models of computation (MoC) have been introduced. This lecture covers the most important MoCs and explains their advantages and disadvantages. In particular, algorithms are discussed that can be used to ensure consistency conditions of these MoCs such as causality, clock consistency, limitation to finite memory, etc.
- formal basics: partial orders, lattices and complete orders and fixed point sets
Data flow process networks as asynchronous MoC
- Syntax and semantics (operational and denotational; problem of abstraction)
- Scheduling of (quasi-)static data flow process networks
- polychronic data flow process networks: clock consistency
synchronous MoCs: quartz and statecharts
- Syntax and semantics (operational SOS rules)
- Translation from quartz to synchronous trigger actions
- Synthesis of sequential programs (automata)
- Synthesis of circuits (Boolean systems of equations)
- symbolic causality analysis
- endochronous systems: global asynchronous/local synchronous systems
- discrete event-based systems: VHDL and SystemC
- A. Jantsch, Modeling Embedded Sytems and SoC's, Morgan Kaufmann, 2004.
- P.J. Ashenden, The VHDL Cookbook, available online, 1990.
- Soonhoi Ha, Jürgen Teich; Handbook of Hardware/Software Codesign; Springer, 2017
- K. Schneider, The Synchronous Programming Language Quartz, available online, 2010.
- J. Teich, Digitale Hardware/Software-Systeme - Synthese und Optimierung, Springer 1997.