High Performance Computing (Introduction) (2V+2U, 5.0 LP)
|SWS||Type||Course Form||CP (Effort)||Presence-Time / Self-Study|
|-||K||Lecture with exercise classes (V/U)||5.0 CP||94 h|
|2||U||Exercise class (in small groups)||28 h|
|(2V+2U)||5.0 CP||56 h||94 h|
|CP, Effort||5.0 CP = 150 h|
|Position of the semester||1 Sem. in SuSe|
|Level|| Master (General)|
|Language||[DE/EN] German or English as required|
|Area of study||[INF-VIS] Visualisation and Scientific Computing|
The course will be accompanied by practical exercises on the high performance cluster of the university.
Possible Study achievement
- Verification of study performance: proof of successful participation in the exercise classes (ungraded)
- Details of the examination (type, duration, criteria) will be announced at the beginning of the course.
This course introduces high performance computing and the use of high performance computers:
- introduction to the usage of high performance computers, especially remote login on systems with UNIX and usage of their batch systems
- analysis and evaluation of parallel algorithms regarding performance
- applying and working on the high performance computer of the university
- analysis and evaluation of parallel algorithms for multicore systems using OpenMP
- analysis and evaluation of parallel algorithms for massively parallel systems with message passing (MPI).
- Paralleles Rechnen: Performancebetrachtungen zu Gleichungslösern; Josef Schüle, Oldenbourg 2010.
- OpenMP; S. Hoffmann und R. Lienhart, Springer 2008.
- Using MPI: Portable Parallel Programming with the Message-Passing-Interface; W. Gropp, E. Lusk und A. Skjellum, MIT Press, 1994.